It’s almost always cheaper to retain your current customers than it is to constantly acquire new customers. That’s why it’s so important to build customer loyalty and exceed expectations with every sale you make.
In a previous post on creating a memorable branded unboxing experience, we briefly touched on adding package inserts like discounts, samples and gifts with each shipped package and their effectiveness. In this post, we’re going to dive deeper into packaging inserts so you can make the most of every shipped package to drive customer loyalty, repeat purchases and revenues through the roof.
Why Are Package Inserts so Important?
Package inserts can be a cost-effective and versatile medium for building a solid relationship with your customers. It’s these relationships that can help increase sales, average order size, and profit. Consider this, with every package shipped, your customer’s experience with your brand will either:
- Fall below expectations
- Meet expectations
- Exceed expectations
There are many ways, some even out of your control, that your customer’s experience with your brand can fall below expectations. If everything goes well and the post office isn’t late, you may meet your customers expectations. It’s the little extra things though, like using the right packaging inserts, that will help you stand out and exceed expectations, time and time again.
Let’s take a look at some of the other top reasons packaging inserts are so important:
- Packaging inserts are low cost – Below we will discuss five package insert opportunity types, each of them are very low cost, yet can yield high return.
- Inserts can be highly targeted – They are already a customer and you know what they bought. This can allow you to tailor your package insert closely to the exact person receiving it.
- The cost of delivering the message has already been paid – The package is already being shipped so you might as well make the most of it.
- Package inserts are perfect for cross-selling – Because you know exactly what the customer already likes, you can add highly targeted cross sell opportunities.
- Package inserts are a great channel for liquidating merchandise – Hard to move merchandise can be converted to a marketing expense and used to bolster you relationship with current customers.
- The right inserts increase loyalty – By making the customer feel special, inserts make the customer feel like they are important and provide a reason for them to share their story.
Package inserts seem pretty simple – just throw a flyer or coupon in the box whenever you ship an order. In fact though, there are a lot of options on the table you can use and mix to deliver more value and build greater loyalty with your customers. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular types of packaging insert options.
Author: Richard Lazazzer
About: Richard Lazazzera is a an ecommerce entrepreneur and Content Strategist in charge of customer success at Shopify. Get more from Richard on his ecommerce blog.